Clerics, politicians condemn wave of killings rocking Rombo District

Sunday February 17 2019

By Janeth Joseph @TheCitizenTZ news@tz.nationmedia.com

Rombo. Religious and political leaders have condemned the ongoing wave of killings in Rombo District that have been reported since last year.

The leaders include Usseri Parish Priest, Fr Emmanuel Lyimo, and Rombo MP Joseph Selasini.

Preaching during the Sunday Mass on February 17, 2019 Fr Liymo said there was a need for the government to avert the situation that has claimed the lives of innocent people.

He said the assault on Ms Adelaide Onesmo on February 11, 2019 at Lessoroma Village was among brutal incidents that should be condemned by the society.

“Residents in the district still take the law into their hands by killing, raping and sodomizing others in the district. Such incidents are on the increase,” he said, adding: "They often do not go unrevenged, the bloodshed yearns for perpetrators.”

Rombo MP Joseph Selasini (Chadema) blamed the police for lack of accountability.

"The Police Force is destroying the image of our government. It is impossible to accept that victims are yet to be arrested five days after the latest spate of killings. It shows corruption has increased within the Police Force,” he lamented.

"They are poor at protecting citizens and properties but more active in chasing and arresting politicians all over the place,” he added.

When contacted, Rombo District Commissioner Agnes Hokororo said she had nothing to comment.

“After all I’m accompanying deputy minister in his tour,” she responded without naming the respective deputy minister.

Ms Onesmo was killed on February 11, this year, by a mob of six women after her Standard Six son at Kiraro Primary School was accused of stealing cooked food from the neighbor’s house.

The deceased’s body has been preserved at the Karume District Hospital mortuary as relatives wait for an elder brother to arrive from Kenya.

On February 3, 2018, a youngster whose name is withheld was sexually abused by two known people who are still enjoying their freedom, according to local reports.

On March 2, 2018, Ms Jackline Atanasi was hacked to death with machete at her home in the same village, while another person narrowly escaped death on April 3, when he was assaulted with a machete by unknown assailants and her business kiosk set ablaze.

Advertisement