Over 600 arrested after Eastleigh terror attack

Wednesday April 2 2014

A woman is treated by a medic on Monday before

A woman is treated by a medic on Monday before being taken to a hospital after being injured in an explosion in the main Somali district of Nairobi which left at least six people dead and scores injured, raising suspicions of terrorism. Three blasts targeted two small restaurants and a local clinic in a particularly densely populated area of Eastleigh, an area often known as Little Mogadishu because of its predominantly Somali population. PHOTO | AFP 

By The Citizen Correspondent

Nairobi. Kenya Police have arrested 657 suspects in Eastleigh, Nairobi following Monday night terror attack that left six people dead. Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku said a security operation has been launched in Eastleigh and will continue until the perpetrators of the attack are brought to book.

In a statement, Mr Lenku asked residents to cooperate with security personnel and volunteer information that will assist in arresting the culprits.

“This act of cowardice perpetrated against innocent and peace loving Kenyans who were going about their normal activities is barbaric and immediate action has been taken by our security agencies,” he stated yesterday.

Six people were killed and dozens others seriously injured in blasts in Eastleigh estate Monday evening.

The attacks occurred at Sheraton Cafe and The New Kwa Muzairua Super Grill Centre along Eastleigh’s 11th Street at around 7.30pm. The two cafes are barely 300 metres apart. Ten patients are admitted at Kenyatta National Hospital in stable condition while 12 others were treated and discharged. Six people were killed and dozens others seriously injured in blasts in Nairobi’s Eastleigh estate Monday evening. Most of those injured in the three explosions, were taken to Mother and Child Hospital, Guru Nanak Hospital and Kenyatta National Hospital, where 20 of the injured were admitted.

According to the owner of Sheraton Cafe, Mr Patrick Gakuyu, people were watching the evening news when he heard two explosions followed by complete darkness. He said when he tried to flee from the scene, he discovered that the door had been locked from outside.

“When I finally managed to get outside, I saw six bodies,” he said. Mr Gakuyu said he suspect the explosions were caused by grenades thrown into the cafe.

Nairobi County police commander Benson Kibue said initial reports indicated six people were killed and 11 others injured. KNH chief executive Lily Koros appealed to Kenyans to donate blood to help the victims of the attacks.

On Sunday, a suspected terrorist died in the same estate after an explosive he was assembling went off. A grenade was also found in a church compound in Lamu on the same day.