Moshi Mayor, His Lordship Juma Raibu has denied allegations of claims that he collaborated with troubled former Hai District Commissioner Lengai Ole Sabaya in some of the offences that are being investigated by anti-graft body PCCB.
PCCB says among the allegations is one that was made by a prominent businessman in Moshi, Elioth Lyimo who claimed that Sh25 million from him had been illegally taken by Sabaya while citing the mayor's involvement.
In his statement, His Lordship Raibu said the allegations were long-standing and were rather baseless.
Recently, PCCB’s Kilimanjaro regional head, Frida Wikesi told this newspaper that there are some people who are said to be collaborating with Sabaya to commit crimes in the region, including Raibu who is also being investigated and if the investigation proves that he was involved he will be brought to justice.
While Wikesi made the remarks, the same day the director general of PCCB, Salum Hamduni insisted that he had sent a team to investigate Lyimo's allegations that his Sh25 million was taken illegally by Sabaya.
The businessman’s allegation against Sabaya and Moshi Mayor has been one of the most trending items online for the past two days.
On June 4, Lengai Ole Sabaya (34) and his five bodyguards were arraigned at the Arusha Regional Resident Magistrate's Court on various charges, including armed robbery, economic sabotage, embezzlement and bribery.
Sabaya, who was suspended by President Samia Suluhu Hassan on May 13, 2021 pending investigations, was presented in court in handcuffs, with prosecutors saying that he and his accomplices allegedly committed the crimes on January 20 and February 9, this year.