Police seize hand grenades linked to Arusha bombings

Police display a cache of grenades seized in Arusha Sunday nightPHOTO | FILBERT RWEYEMAMU

What you need to know:

At least seven hand grenades and six rounds of ammunition were found in a residence of a suspect  in Sombetini,  near  the  scene of a July 3 bomb attack on the Muslim cleric.

Police believe the weapons seizure will provide clues in their efforts to get to the bottom of bomb attacks in Arusha

Arusha. At least eight people were arrested here yesterday following the seizure of an arms cache believed to have been used in a string of bomb attacks that have rocked the tourist city in recent months.

 At least seven hand grenades and six rounds of ammunition were found in a residence of a suspect  in Sombetini,  near  the  scene of the July 3 bomb attack on the home of a Muslim religious leader.

 Police believe the seizure of weapons will provide clues in their efforts to the unravel bomb attacks Arusha has been subjected to in recent months, although they admit that the network behind the terror was wide.

“There are indications the terror network is not confined to Arusha...it is countrywide,” said Director of Criminal Investigation Isaiah Mngulu.

He hold reporters that the grenades and ammunition were found at a residence of a 30-year-old suspect, who was arrested along with his wife.

Mr Mngulu said police has also seized half a kilo of a powdery material used to make explosives, two machetes and other crude weapons.

He added that the chief suspect was among the people who were being sought in connection with a series of bomb attacks in Arusha that have killed eight people and wounded at least 100 since May last year.

Others arrested include three security guards who worked at the Arusha Gymkhana Club, a Madrassa teacher and a businessman. 

Mr Mngulu said police were looking for another suspect, whom he said was among the masterminds of the bomb attacks.

“We suspect he is  behind the series of bomb attacks in Arusha. A handsome cash reward will be given to anybody who will provide clues that will lead to his arrest,” he said.

The DCI once again tried to convince journalists that Arusha was not the only place targeted,saying over 30 suspects have been arrested countrywide, 16 of them in Dar es Salaam

Sixteen of them have been arraigned in court in Arusha for the attack at Arusha Night Park on April 13 in which one person was killed and scores injured.

Some of the suspects were charged with recruiting young Tanzanians to join terror networks such as Al Shabaab, which has wreaked havoc in neighbouring Kenya. Others were accused of carrying out the actual attack.

Arusha has been subjected to bomb attacks since late 2012. However, the biggest strike  took place at the Olasiti Catholic Church on May 5, last year, when three people were killed.

 A bodaboda driver is the only suspect arrested and charged in connection with the attack.

 This was closely followed by an explosion at a Chadema election rally at Soweto grounds where four people, including a party official, were killed.

The arms cache was seized yesterday only days after Regional Commissioner Magesa Mulongo changed his stance, this time blaming the explosions on local networks instead of elements from outside the region.