Sh557million donated following Mv Nyerere ferry disaster

Tuesday September 25 2018

Works, Transport and Communications Minister

Works, Transport and Communications Minister Isaack Kamwelwe. 

By adiosa Lamtey@gadiosa2 glamtey@tz.nationmedia.com

Dar es Salaam. A total of Sh557 million has so far been contributed by the public, private institutions and individuals as donations following the MV Nyerere ferry disaster at Ukara in Ukerewe District which has killed over 220 people.

The disaster committee chairman, who is also the minister for Works, Transport and Communications Isaack Kamwelwe revealed this on Tuesday, September 25, saying more contributions were still expected to come in. 

This morning, he said, the government had embarked on a process to give Sh1 million to families whose relatives perished in the accident.

Mr Kamwelwe said until this morning the committee had received Sh160 million from KCB Bank in Tanzania, Sh25 million from Roman Catholic Diocese of Dar es Salaam.

He said Sh10 million was from Tanzania Postal Corporation (TPC) and Sh300, 000 from two fishermen Abel Michael and John Saria.

Speaking after handover of the contributions on behalf of Tanzania Episcopal Conference (TEC), Bishop Flavian Kasala said, “Cardinal Polycarp Pengo, has sent his condolences to all relatives who lost their beloved ones,’’ he said.

However KCB Bank board chairperson Zuhura Muro said the group of banks in Rwanda, Kenya, Burundi, Ethiopia and Uganda sent their condolences too.

“This is our contribution, we will continue cooperating with the government in ensuring that everything is going right, as this is our problem,” she said

Advertisement